Lemon Poppyseed Cookies

Posted by JMom | Sunday, March 18, 2007 | , | 6 comments »

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I have been hacking and coughing for a week now, and just hadn't had much energy nor inspiration to cook. The only thing that feels good on my throat is something soupy, sour and hot. I think I've posted enough sinigang recipes on this blog for everyone to drown in, but I love soups, so what the hey! Anyway, my girls were looking a bit pitiful without anything homemade for days now, so we decided to make these quick and easy cookies for comfort. And guess what, they have lemons! Just what the doctor ordered for a cold. Well, not really, but they were great anyhow.

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup (1 & 1/2 sticks) of butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. poppyseeds
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1 egg
3 tsp. lemon juice
2 cup flour

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the poppyseeds and lemon zest, then the egg and lemon juice. Mix until well blended. Slowly mix in the flour until the dough holds together. Divide dough in half and roll each half into logs using either wax paper or plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.

When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice dough rounds into 1/4 inch thick. Dip top surface in sugar and bake for 12 minutes or until edges start to brown.

Great served with hot tea or cold milk.

6 comments

  1. Anonymous // 3/19/2007 6:36 AM  

    Hi JMom! Those cookies look so refreshing! I wish I could have some with a cup of hot tea. :)

  2. Anonymous // 3/22/2007 6:45 AM  

    That looks fab and also why not drink some hot lemon with honey to relieve your coughing and sore throat

  3. Unknown // 3/22/2007 10:08 AM  

    hope you're a lot better by now JMom!
    anything with ginger and lemon works for my kids (sali na don lugaw or pospas; baka placebo epek lang pero worth a try when they're hacking and coughing)
    and why not lemon poppyseed cookies? if anything, for the sheer joy of eating it=positive vibes=you get well sooner.

  4. Anonymous // 3/22/2007 1:57 PM  

    god i am sick few days ago i keep thinking of doing something with poppy seeds.... copy muna ng recipe ha..get well

  5. Anonymous // 3/22/2007 9:18 PM  

    Hi, JMom! Sorry to hear you're sick. Salabat and lemongrass tea are what perk me up when I've got the sniffles. And Chinese-style hot-and-sour soup works wonders, as well.

    I should try your lemon cookie recipe. It reminds me so much of shortbread and I'm crazy about shortbread!

  6. obachan // 3/26/2007 9:56 AM  

    The cookies just triggered my craving. Send me some!

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e