Sweet Rice with Coconut Jam Topping

Posted by JMom | Sunday, March 25, 2007 | , , | 4 comments »

This is a short cut to making the traditional Philippine rice cake which usually labor intensive when made from scratch and thus was reserved for special occations. I have to admit that it isn't as good as the 'made from scratch' version, but when hungry for some comfort food fast, then this will do. This recipe is based on the Baby Rambutan's Bibingka recipe.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 cups sweet rice, cooked
1 can coconut milk plus 1/2 can of water
1/8 tsp. salt

Coconut jam topping

For my really short cut version, I did away with the soaking part and just put the rice, coconut milk, water and salt in the rice cooker and hit the button. I opened it midway and stirred as the coconut has a tendency to float to the top. Once cooked, I transferred the rice into a square pyrex dish and topped with the bottled coco jam that sisterO sent me. I only put about a third of the jar. Baked in the oven an additional 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees F or until the topping starts to bubble. Cool, and serve.

4 comments

  1. Omom // 3/26/2007 11:58 PM  

    I was thinking of making sticky rice today but the girls decided they wanted bread pudding instead. I'll have to make this after we're done with our pudding :-)

  2. Anonymous // 3/29/2007 1:02 PM  

    how i so so love this kakanin jmom! my mom's coming soon and she'll have to make this for me! hehe...

  3. Honey Dionisio // 5/11/2007 3:23 AM  

    Hi! How long did you cooked the rice in the cooker? I plan to make this for my son this is his fave. Thanks for a great recipe!

  4. JMom // 5/11/2007 9:13 AM  

    Hi Honey, I just let the rice cooker go through its normal cycle. Turned it on and when the light went off, done! Good luck, hope your son likes it. Happy Mother's day! :)

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e