Chicken Adobo with Potatoes

Posted by JMom | Monday, September 04, 2006 | , , , | 22 comments »

chix-adobo-beforeAdobo. There's tons of recipes for adobo to be had on the internet. Some of them probably a lot better than my version, but since the purpose of this blog is to have a repository of our family recipes for my girls to refer back to someday, I will post our easy version for adobo.
We have chicken adobo at least twice a month, sometimes more often, depending on our mood. Lately though, we have been having a love affair with potatoes, especially the yucon golds. They just have so much flavor! I don't know.

chix-adobo-w-potatoMy mom says that my lola (grandmother) puts potatoes in her adobo as an extender, to make the dish feed more people. She is right. It used to amaze me how my grandmother would feed eight to ten people with one chicken! Well, we add potatoes to ours because we love the flavor, and adobo tastes even better the next day after the flavors have had a chance to blend further. This is one of our favorites.

chix-adobo-meal


INGREDIENTS:
1 whole chicken, cut up
10-12 cloves of garlic or 1 head, chopped coarsely
1 large or 2 medium onions, sliced
3 bay leaves
1 tsp. whole peppercorns
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
4-5 yucon gold potatoes, quartered

Layer all the ingredients except potatoes in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes of cooking, add the potatoes and cook for another 20 minutes or until sauce has reduced but not quite dried out yet. My family likes to have some sauce to pour over the rice so we tend to make our adobo on the saucy side. Some people make adobo on the dry side, even frying up the pieces after cooking in the sauce.



Filipino Cookbooks

22 comments

  1. Anonymous // 9/04/2006 7:01 PM  

    we like potatoes in our adobo too. it's my son's favorite part actually. he can just eat the potatoes with the sauce over rice.

  2. Anonymous // 9/04/2006 11:09 PM  

    Yummy...we also love adobo at home. Lutong pinoy talaga ito. We don't add potatoes though. After reading your entry, I might add potatoes next time. :-) Thanks!

  3. Anonymous // 9/04/2006 11:38 PM  

    hi! this is one REALLY marvelous blog! keep up the good work!

    btw: i came from www.queerchef.com

  4. Anonymous // 9/04/2006 11:46 PM  

    I had the pleasure of tasting Aunty Chita's version of a dry adobo, it was soooo good. Pop has taught SisJo the recipe and will definitely try it next. Your version is always so tasty, delish...missing it.

  5. Anonymous // 9/05/2006 2:18 AM  

    I like potatoes or saba. :D

    I've bookmarked your recipe!

  6. Anonymous // 9/05/2006 3:16 AM  

    Sigh...this is making me so hungry. I'm quite weeping right now.

  7. Anonymous // 9/05/2006 6:02 AM  

    It's not even lunchtime and i'm soooo hungry! The photo's making me drool...

    I put potatoes on my adobo too cos Ian likes potatoes :-) me, not fussed with or without. I never thought of using cider vinegar before but i'll definitely try next time. Thanks JMom.

  8. Anonymous // 9/05/2006 9:47 AM  

    Hi Dexie, I think C and my Clone will get along. She does the same thing especially since she's been on her no meat kick. She just takes the sauce and potatoes over rice, and she's good to go :)

    Hi ladybug, you should try it. Try to use firm and flavorful potatoes like yucon gold though. I've used white and russet before and was not too crazy about the result. The russets, especially start breaking up and makes the whole dish look messy.

  9. Anonymous // 9/05/2006 9:55 AM  

    Hi Udit, thanks for visiting!

    Hi sis, I too prefer my adobo on the dry side as the flavors get more concentrated that way. But, everytime I do it like that, I have the endless whining about not having enough sauce for the rice :)

    Hi Toni! oh yeah, I had forgotten about the saba! I had that when we were still in the Philippines. Thanks for reminding me. I should try replicating it next time I see some saba at the store. I like the slight sweetness too.

    Hi Rowena! why weeping? this is so easy to make, you can make it in a jiffy :)

    Hi mae, I've always preferred the slight sweetness in the cider vinegar to the acidity of white vinegar. Do try it next time.

  10. Anonymous // 9/06/2006 7:27 AM  

    Yipee! More adobo recipes for me to try...lots of garlic, yum!!! :)

  11. Anonymous // 9/06/2006 9:22 AM  

    Hi Joey! yep, it's all in the garlic, baby!! :D Have fun on your honeymoon!

  12. Anonymous // 9/08/2006 8:48 AM  

    This one looks really delicious ate! Lovely!

  13. Anonymous // 9/11/2006 1:38 PM  

    My Tatay started adding potatoes when my brother's friend mentioned that his family makes it this way. We like it much better. And potatoes soak in the adobo flavor even more on the next day!!

  14. Sierra // 1/22/2012 1:10 PM  

    I tried your recipe friday night and just finished off the leftovers. I made it with 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into large thick strips. It was wonderfully delicious and hearty without being heavy. Thank you so much for sharing your recipes with everyone! I will be making this again soon!

  15. JMom // 1/22/2012 1:38 PM  

    I'm glad you tried the recipe, Siera! you're welcome :)

  16. Anonymous // 1/27/2012 6:13 PM  

    I am Filipino and live in Puerto Rico with my family (also where my husband is from) and I make this dish at least twice a week and he loves it so much. I have made this for his family as well and they also love it. No matter where any one is from or even a picky eater end up loving this simple but delicious dish!!!!

  17. Richard Ong // 1/30/2012 3:29 AM  

    Hi JMom,
    You can fry your potatoes a bit so that it will not break down and make your dish messy. Btw I like your recipe for Chicken Adobo 2 thumbs up!

  18. Dondi Virrey of Techy Romantics // 11/09/2012 7:58 AM  

    thank you for the tip :) God bless :)

  19. Anonymous // 1/08/2013 10:55 AM  

    I'm an American doing Business in Erbil,Iraq and I miss the filipino foods I ate while working in Manila. So I'm cooking this recipe right now. Smells good everyone...

  20. Jerry // 1/08/2013 11:00 AM  

    Hi there I'm an American working in Erbil, Iraq and I was looking at this recipe and missed the Filipino foods I ate while working in Manila. Cooking it right now and it smells so good...Jerry

  21. Unknown // 8/06/2013 11:36 AM  

    hello mga ka adobo,,hehhe ako c regie na nandito ngayon sa dubai na miss ko bigla ang chichen adobo kaya mag loloto ako ngayon,, salamat sa recipe na nakita ko dto, sana mabosog lahat ang ka roomate ko! lol.

  22. Unknown // 3/26/2014 11:01 AM  

    Hi was wondering what the serving size of this dish was?

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e