"Rotten" Banana Muffin

Posted by JMom | Wednesday, February 16, 2005 | 9 comments »

Mystery of mysteries! (or onset alzheimer's) This recipe went missing from this blog all of sudden. It was posted here at one time, but no more. So here I am re-posting it again. Here is the original post:

***************************************************

The girls call the bananas for these muffins "rotten" because they are black when I take them out of the freezer. They only eat "perfect" bananas in their prime, so anything that has brown spots or overripe gets thrown in the freezer until I can use them for this recipe. It's the Ilokano in me, coming out, what can I say. I just can't stand to throw food away.

My mom, makes very good banana bread but she doesn't ever write the recipe down. I've tried several recipes until I came up with this one, which the girls heartily approved. However, there is something about baking it in a cake pan or loaf pan that they just don't like. The only time the whole batch gets gone in a day or two is when I make it into muffins. They take it for their lunches, and snack on it when they get home from school. It even goes faster when it is frosted with the cream cheese frosting (recipe follows) that I usually use for carrot cake.

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine (butter is better:))
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 bananas, mashed (equivalent to 2 cups)
1/4 cup milk
1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.

With an electric mixer, blend butter and sugar, add eggs and salt. Beat until fluffy. Add mashed bananas and mix well. Sift together all dry ingredients and slowly add to banana mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix until blended then add the vanilla. Pour into grease muffin tins or loaf pan. I lined my pans with paper cup liners for less messy baking, and it's easier for the girls to handle with the paper liner. For muffins, bake for 15-20 minutes. If using a loaf pan, bake for 40-50 minutes. Makes 18 muffins or 1 loaf.

This recipe does well doubled or tripled, as I have often had to do just to use up all the rotten bananas saved up in the freezer. When freezing bananas, just put the whole bananas in a plastic bag and throw in the freezer. They are good up to 6 months. They can probably last longer, but that is the longest that I have kept them in the freezer without having the freezer burn taste.

Thanks for asking for the frosting recipe, Susan. I just realized I never did post it at the end of the banana muffin recipe :-) Here it is:

1 stick (1/2 cup) Butter
2 bars Cream Cheese
approximately 2 cups of Powdered (confectioners) Sugar

Beat the butter and cream cheese until creamy. Gradually add confectioners sugar starting with 1 cup and adding a little bit more at a time until desired sweetness is achieved.

Frost cake. The Clone decorated the top with toasted and chopped Pecans.

In the response to your comment, Susan, I said one bar each of cream cheese and butter. That proportion will work too, especially when you're making a smaller batch of frosting as in for muffins. The proportions above is what we use for the triple layer carrot cake.

9 comments

  1. Anonymous // 2/20/2005 11:33 AM  

    Rotten pala, ha? And who finishes the muffins made of rotten bananas? :-P

    Sarap po, I need a fix of this soon.

  2. Rowena // 2/23/2005 7:09 AM  

    Hmmm...I'll have to give this a try for the guys at my husband's office....little do they know that they have become my guinea pig subjects! But this recipe should win them over in any case. Who can resist banana muffins???

  3. JMom // 2/23/2005 5:43 PM  

    Hi marezone, thanks!

    Karen, oo nga ano? Snob sila dun sa nangingitim na banana, pero ubos naman nila pag na bake na :)

    Hi Rowena! My friends and family are always guinea pigs :) They don't mind, especially if it's something like these. They can't resist!

  4. ting-aling // 2/25/2005 1:44 AM  

    Hi JMom. May multo sa blogger? Time to thaw my frozen rotten bananas..haha

  5. JMom // 2/25/2005 9:15 AM  

    Ting! either may multo, or sinumpong na naman pagkaulyanin ko. Ewan kung na pindot ko ang delete by mistake. Nakakaloka!

  6. Anonymous // 1/11/2006 1:03 PM  

    Do you have the recipe for the cream cheese frosting?

  7. JMom // 1/11/2006 5:42 PM  

    Hi Susan, the recipe for the cream cheese frosting is just one bar of butter (1/2 cup) and 1 bar of cream cheese creamed together with about 2 cups of powdered (confectioners) sugar. The amount of sugar can be more or less, depending on your taste. Most recipes say 1 pound of sugar, but we find it is sweet enough for our taste at about 1 and 3/4 cup.

    Thanks for visiting our blog! :-)

    The recipe for the frosting, btw is posted with our equally delicious carrot cake.

  8. Unknown // 10/22/2009 3:19 PM  

    I made these muffins twice in a day.. My girlfriend couldn't get enough, so I went back and made a second batch.. These are so easy to make.. My Dad was a master of Rotten Banana/Chocolate Chip muffins.. I hope I'm making him proud with mind..

  9. Anonymous // 3/11/2012 10:48 AM  

    cream cheese icing?
    <a href="http://www.retrocell.ca>rogers cell phone</a>
    retrocell

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e