Carrot Cake

Posted by JMom | Sunday, December 05, 2004 | , | 17 comments »

This was tonight's dessert, which was a collaboration with The Clone. She was bored and feeling neglected this afternoon, so to cheer her up, we decided to make cake.



2 cups Light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 1/2 cups Cooking Oil
4 eggs
3 cups grated carrots
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup chopped nuts

In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, salt, eggs, cinnamon, oil and carrots. Blend together with an electric mixer (blending by hand also works, I've done it when I don't feel like taking the beater out). Gradually add the flour, baking soda, and nuts (the Clone decided she didn't want nuts in the cake, but rather on top of the cake so we omitted this step this time). Mix well. Pour into greased and floured 9 inch round pans (you can use two or three, depending on how many layers you want). Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Since I used 3 round pans and the layers are thinner, I only had to bake for 35 minutes. Let the cakes rest for ten minutes after removing from the oven then turn them out onto racks to cool.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING



Jade made the frosting. She used:

1 stick (1/2 cup) Butter
2 bars Cream Cheese
approximately 2 cups of Powdered (confectioners) Sugar

Beat the butter and cream cheese until creamy. Gradually add confectioners sugar starting with 1 cup and adding a little bit more at a time until desired sweetness is achieved.

Frost cake. The Clone decorated the top with toasted and chopped Pecans.

17 comments

  1. JMom // 12/06/2004 2:19 PM  

    Hiya Sis! Yeah, it's real easy to make, you don't even have to use the mixer. You can just mix it by hand if you prefer. Let me know how it comes out for you :)

  2. Manang // 12/06/2004 7:09 PM  

    You know what I envy most about your blogs and kitchen? The teamwork of you and your daughters...wish I had a daughter, too...or at least get my sons interested in these things...

  3. Sassy Lawyer // 12/07/2004 7:41 AM  

    Hay, naku, my frustration--baking. I can count with my 10 fingers the kinds of cakes I can bake successfully. Brownies lang ang kayang-kaya ko. :(

  4. JMom // 12/07/2004 9:56 AM  

    Manang, that's what I enjoy about my daughters too, it's like having your girlfriends at home with you. I hope they stay that way all the time. Although, I did wish I had boys too. Sometimes boys tend to be closer to their moms. Like they will always be your babies, no matter how old they get.

    Sassy, this is so easy to make, the only thing that takes time is grating the carrots. You can even mix by hand if you don't want to take out the mixer. This is the first cake Jade learned how to make; it's easy and does not require a lot of fussing like sifting and all that.

  5. ting-aling // 12/07/2004 12:03 PM  

    We have Carrot Cake for our office lunch tomorrow and I'm in charge..my officemate from England gave me the recipe and she had pineapple in hers.

  6. obachan // 12/09/2004 4:36 AM  

    Oh it looks so delicious!! Wish I could take a bite!!

  7. mrs.S // 12/09/2004 4:55 AM  

    ooooh, that carrot cake looks heavenly! i also have my own recipe of carrot cake (which is pretty good) but i'm gonna have to try yours too. yum yum!

    tin ni roLand

  8. purplegirl // 12/09/2004 4:01 PM  

    oh my, your carrot cake looks wonderful! i am salivating as i read your post. the cream cheese frosting must taste heavenly! especially made pa by the Clone. i want my own clone, too!!!

  9. Thess // 12/10/2004 4:01 PM  

    Wow! sarap naman po nito..'love that cream cheese cover!

    got here via drstel's page.

  10. Ms One Boobie // 12/17/2004 11:41 AM  

    I would be real proud of my daughter.. if she is anything like yours.. :) it's so cool... cooking with your daughter.. ;) i so envy you ... JMom.. :)

  11. Anonymous // 2/11/2005 2:30 PM  

    Hi, How about if I do not have light brown sugar, can I use white sugar. What again is the difference between brown sugar and white sugar.

  12. JMom // 2/11/2005 4:01 PM  

    Hi Anonymous & Noon, yes, you can definitely substitute white sugar instead of brown. There will be slight difference in color and taste, but it should be ok. The taste difference will probably be minimal. I'm sorry can't elaborate more on the difference between the two.

  13. Rayhana // 11/16/2005 9:48 PM  

    hi there

    i tried your cake last night but when i wanted to use some eggs, i realised it is not listed in the recipe!

    or have my eyes failed me?

    so i just guessed it was 3 eggs...

    would really appreciate if you could check.. thanks :)

    excellent blog :D

  14. JMom // 11/18/2005 9:25 AM  

    Hi Rayhana Lisa, thanks for pointing that out! What a dork I am! :-) I'm glad you tried the recipe anyway. You were pretty close, I checked my notebook lastnight, and it is supposed to have 4 eggs. I will ammend the recipe pronto. Thanks again, I'm glad you noticed the oversight!

  15. Rayhana // 11/20/2005 11:36 PM  

    Hi Jmom :)

    Thank you for your reply!! :)

    4 eggs, medium?

    I tried half the recipe the other day, and put in 1 1/2 eggs in, and it turned out nice and moist and those who had it really liked it :) Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.

    Just need to clarify the size of the eggs, and I'm gonna make it again! :)

  16. JMom // 11/22/2005 9:33 AM  

    Hi Rayhana Lisa, I'm glad the recipe turned out well for you. We just made this cake this past weekend also, coincidence eh? The original recipe I have, which I copied from a magazine a while back, just stated 4 eggs. However, I read somewhere that when the size of the egg is not specified, it is better to assume that it means large eggs. Just as when a recipe simply asks for sugar, it is best to assume white sugar instead of brown.

  17. Rayhana // 11/22/2005 10:35 PM  

    hi Jmom,

    Thank you for clarifying that. Much appreciated. Large eggs it is then!

    I will make a proper cake this weekend, God willing! :)

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e