Momma Dot's Sweet Potato Pie

Posted by JMom | Thursday, November 25, 2004 | , , , | 8 comments »

Sweet potato pie is a Southern staple during Thanksgiving. My husband's family is not too much into pumpkin pies, but sweet potato pies are a must. It's just not Thanksgiving without them. My mother-in-law, Dot, made the best sweet potato pie, not too sweet, not overly spiced. Like most good cooks though, she didn't have a recipe; she just cooked by feel. When it felt right, then it was time to put it in the oven. This is one of of her recipes that I cajoled her into sharing with me. For some reason that I find strange, many Southern cooks don't like to share their recipes. So one occasion when she was making these, I watched her and approximated the proportions. She was so funny, because once in a while I'd catch her shield the bowl and throw something in there. I'd say, "Now what did you just put in there, Mom?" and she would say nonchanlantly, "Oh, nothing, I was just tasting it" and smile. She says that is her secret, she tastes as she goes along, and stops adding ingredients when she feels and tastes it to be right. This recipe comes very close to her pies, but I think there is just something special that moms and grandmas add to their cooking that makes it special and reminds you just of them. I hope my daughters will someday look back and think the same way about the foods we've shared.



2 Deep Dish Pie Crusts (I used the ready-made, store-bought stuff, but if you want to make your own from scratch, Manang Kusinera has a very good recipe and step by step method of making pie crust on her blog.
4 Large sweet potatoes
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup or 1 stick of butter, softened not melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon apple pie spice
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 tablespoons flour

Bake the sweet potatoes for one hour in a 350 degrees F oven. You can also microwave or boil them, I just prefer baking them. Just make sure you leave them whole, don't peel and slice them yet as they would absorb too much liquid. Cool after baking, and peel, then mash.
In a large mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients until they are well blended. Momma Dot used to mix hers by hand, but she says that she discovered, when you mix with an electric mixer, the beaters pick up the stringy strands and give a much smoother pie. Just don't scrape the beaters after mixing, although it may seem the frugal thing to do. You'll see what I mean when you clean the beaters. Divide the batter into the crusts. At this point, you can freeze the pies to bake at a later time.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 40-50 minutes. Cool before serving.

8 comments

  1. Unknown // 11/25/2004 1:22 PM  

    Momma Dot's very coy re: her cooking ha. This is so timely JMom because husband came home from work yesterday raving about his work colleague's sweet potato pie and asked me to think about making it "next time" (he's even looking for a recipe na). Somehow he's surrounded by co-workers with Southern roots.
    Happy day...Now I have Momma Dot's authentic sweet potato pah!

  2. santos. // 11/25/2004 1:34 PM  

    hi jmom

    happy thanksgiving to you and your family!

  3. JMom // 11/25/2004 2:55 PM  

    Hi Drstel and Santos, Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I'm still cooking and posting :)

    I thought this would be a dreary thanksgiving since we are not spending it with other family, but it is actually turning out to be very nice, quiet, and peaceful day. Best of all we can still share it with our blogging friends. :)

  4. obachan // 11/25/2004 7:07 PM  

    Happy Thanksgiving, JMom!

    I already ate up all my thanksgiving foods. Haha…. Your recipe just inspired me to make a sweet potato pie with the purple sweet potato puree I have in the freezer. I’m gonna give it a try now :)

  5. JMom // 11/25/2004 8:03 PM  

    Hi Obachan! Happy Thanksgiving!

    Can't wait to see the purple sweet potato pie.

  6. Anonymous // 11/28/2008 2:25 PM  

    how many cups of sweet potatoes is 4 lg ones i went and picked sweet potatoes and some were the size of my 2 yr old granddaughters head most were huge does any one have any idea

  7. Anonymous // 11/26/2009 4:59 PM  

    Momma Dot's is simply the best. Friends and family come over and request "the pie". I don't take any credit. I tell everyboby it's Momma Dot's, not Daryl. Have a happy haoliday season. Daryl from north Louisiana.

  8. JMom // 11/26/2009 5:25 PM  

    Hi Daryl from north Louisiana :) It really is the best. I just made some today too for our Thanksgiving feast.

    HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e