Four Foods Friday

Posted by JMom | Thursday, March 12, 2009 | | 9 comments »

It's time for Four Foods on Friday! I know, it's only Thursday, but I'm playing catch up :) I'll post another one tomorrow.

So here are this week's 4 questions:

#1. Olive oil. What kind do you prefer to use?
Extra Virgin. I used to keep regular and EVOO but I found that you can use EVOO for pretty much everything you'd use regular on so now I just use EVOO. I buy the big jar from Costco.

#2. Meatballs. Do you make them from scratch, buy premade cooked or buy premade frozen?
I do both. Of course, from scratch is preferred but I found that the frozen ones from Costco ($11 a bag) come in handy for the girls' lunch, after school snack and for something quick for dinner. I recently made albondigas soup with the frozen ones and they were delicious!

#3. Do you use napkins at home? Paper or cloth?
Paper on most days. When we do a dinner where we set the table and pull out the tablecloth, then we also pull out the cloth napkins.

#4. Share a recipe for a white sauce.
This is a very easy white sauce that, with the addition of garlic and parmesan cheese, easily turns it into a quick alfredo sauce. Perfect for weekday meals like this one on the photo, served with parmesan tilapia and asparagus.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cloves Garlic, minced
4 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. flour
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
Freshly Cracked Black Pepper

Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the garlic, cook for a minute until fragrant. Add the flour and stir around until it's no longer powdery. Slowly add the milk and bring the mixture up to a low boil/simmer, stirring all the while to incorporate the flour. When the milk is hot and starting to thicken, add the cream and parmesan cheese. Stir and it should be now thick and saucy. Crack some black peppers on it and add your choice of pasta.

You shouldn't have to add salt as the parmesan cheese is pretty salty, but if you feel like it needs a little more salt, then by all means adjust it to your taste.

When you have fresh herbs like Italian (flat leaf) parsley or basil, sprinkle some over the pasta for added flavor.




Visit our other blogs:
Amoores.com
Cooked from the Heart - our new food blog
Our New Backyard - garden & photo blog
Found Not Lost - about all the things we 'find' worth talking about

9 comments

  1. Anonymous // 3/12/2009 2:19 PM  

    Hmm, I wonder if you could use Asiago cheese in place of parmesan. I'm on this big asiago kick lately. Mmmm!

  2. Anonymous // 3/13/2009 6:14 AM  

    I love the thought of garlic seasoning in the white sauce that you have so carefully explained here. Can not wait to try it out. I know it will be delicious. Thanks.

  3. Anonymous // 3/13/2009 5:16 PM  

    The only thing better than regular Alfredo sauce is garlicky Alfredo sauce! yummy!

  4. Anonymous // 3/15/2009 6:47 AM  

    I tend to choose the quickest and easiest options too for school days.

  5. Anonymous // 3/15/2009 10:40 AM  

    It sounds like I need a membership to Costco! I will have to check Sam's Club for EVOO the next time I go.

  6. Anonymous // 3/15/2009 3:55 PM  

    Much to my mother's chagrin, I don't even own a table cloth!

  7. Kelly // 3/15/2009 5:28 PM  

    love garlic in any kind of savory sauce. yum!

  8. Anonymous // 3/16/2009 11:03 PM  

    We use EVOO on just about everything. It's really yummy on hot air popped popcorn!

  9. Blogger // 9/26/2016 3:02 PM  
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e