Chicken and Potatoes in Cream Sauce

Posted by JMom | Tuesday, June 19, 2007 | | 4 comments »

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This dish is a variation of the Sassy Chicken with Mushroom and Sour Cream which was a recipe borrowed from the PinoyCook. These chicken and cream dishes have fast become a favorite in our kitchen both for their flavor and convenience. The boneless skinless chicken thighs that I buy in bulk from Costco are perfect for this dish because they are pre-proportioned so all I have to do for a quick meal is defrost a couple of packs in the microwave and I can have dinner on the table in less than an hour.

Continue on if you would like the recipe.
INGREDIENTS:
10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut in pieces
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large onion, sliced
1 Tbsp. fresh Thyme
2 Tbsp. fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
3 Potatoes, cubed
1 stick (1/2 cup) Butter
2 cups cream
Salt, to taste
Dash of Red Pepper Flakes (1/4 teaspoon)

I'm a big fan of one pot cooking since, as you probably already know how I hate washing dishes. If you do this in the right order, you won't need to dirty up another pot.

First in a skillet, melt the one stick of butter and brown the potato cubes. You don't have to cook them all the way through, just get some color on them. Take them out and set aside. In the butter remaining, saute' the garlic and onions for a minute or two then add the chicken pieces. Stir and saute for a few more minutes until they start to turn opaque. Season with salt and pepper and add the thyme and parsley. Add the 2 cups of cream and lower heat to a simmer. Stir, add the reserved potatoes and cover. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes making sure that the liquid does not evaporate too much (add more cream if necessary). Remove from heat when the chicken and potatoes are cooked all the way through and the sauce has thickened slightly. Adjust seasonings and serve.

4 comments

  1. Anonymous // 6/19/2007 10:39 PM  

    Oooh. I love creamy chicken dishes. Thinking about trying this, but admittedly, your Sour Cream version has a stronger pull on me, since I love sour cream. Plus, I have a tub of sour cream and a couple of chicken breasts lying around. Thanks for the recipes :D

  2. JMom // 6/25/2007 12:24 PM  

    hi kaoko, the sour cream version is really good. This one just worked out best for me because the girls ate up all the sourcream in the house, and all I had was some cream. haha!

  3. Anonymous // 6/27/2007 2:11 AM  

    I cooked it! Kaso I made a mistake and burned the onions, cause I substituted spring onions to save up on chopping. Ayun! Burned it, hehehe. But I have to agree, it was really good. I wrote up a bento-ported single-serve version but I linked both you and Pinoy Cook for the actual recipes. Hope you don't mind.

  4. Anonymous // 6/27/2007 2:12 AM  

    Syempre, smart person that I am, I forgot to include the link, hahaha!

    http://www.kitchencow.com/2007/06/27/chicken-mushrooms-sour-cream-bento/

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e