Shrimp and Avocado Salad

Posted by JMom | Friday, February 09, 2007 | , | 8 comments »

This salad, I borrowed from Kalyns Kitchen. I also made this last Sunday for our appetizer/nosh day. I had a two pound bag of shrimps, from Costco of course, and decided to make half into shrimp cocktails and the other half into this salad. I modified it a bit to suit what I had on hand and to taste.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. cooked, frozen shrimps (thawed and drained)
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
2 avocados, diced
1 Tablespoon lemon juice, to toss with avocado
1/2 tsp. salt, to toss with avocado
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Dressing:
1/4 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. Ancho chili powder

Whisk the mayonnaise and chili powder together, then fold in the thawed and drained shrimps. Set aside in the refrigerator while you chop the other ingredients.

Dice the avocadoes toss with the lemon juice and salt until well coated. This will keep the avocadoes from turning dark. Add the rest of the salad ingredients and toss. Add the mixture to the shrimp and gently fold everything together. Chill (or not), and serve.

Kalyn gives great background on shrimp sizes and how to use raw shrimps if that is what you have on hand. She also says that this recipe is South Beach approved recipe, so if you're on a diet, what a great way to indulge! I had this for lunch the following day, and it was still delicious! I was afraid the avocadoes would have turned black and turned the whole thing into mush, but no, it was still as good if not better as the day we made it!

8 comments

  1. Rachel // 2/09/2007 4:16 PM  

    This looks fabulous! Two of my most favorite foods in one dish!

  2. Kalyn Denny // 2/09/2007 10:30 PM  

    I'm so glad you liked it. Your picture of the salad is great!

  3. Anonymous // 2/13/2007 9:06 PM  

    i am so into seafood now! i just had mussels awhile ago and here is another fave! yeah i think the marriage seem good!

  4. Anonymous // 2/17/2007 8:33 PM  

    That looks good ate and also simple to make too! Belated Valentines to you!

  5. JMom // 2/17/2007 9:34 PM  

    hi rachel, thanks. They really are fabulous together.

    hi kalyn, this one is definitely a hit. We've already made it again! :)

    hi ces, that's what hubs and I were just saying, that we've been on a seafood kick lately. I love mussels, can't wait until I can find some decent ones!

    hi chase, thanks, and belated happy hearts day to you too :)

  6. Anonymous // 2/19/2007 12:26 PM  

    hi j!
    try the frozen boxed one from new zealand, i just forgot the brand...will update you on my post about it...;)

  7. Pookah // 2/20/2007 8:50 AM  

    This looks really good to me. We also buy a bag of frozen shrimp and make half of it into shrimp cocktail because my has loves it. I take the rest and do something new usually. Your pesto salmon looks good too. Like summer.....

  8. JMom // 2/20/2007 10:18 AM  

    hi ces, i have seen those new zealand mussels! I just hadn't tried them because I wasn't sure how they would taste being that they were pre-cooked. I may have to give them a try just to see.

    hi pookah, i just got another of those 2 lb bags from Costco last night! I've been on a seafood kick lately. I'm going back for the king crab legs this weekend. I just found a recipe I want to try out :)

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e