Chicken & Vegetable Curry

Posted by JMom | Sunday, October 08, 2006 | , | 8 comments »

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


This recipe is probably not very authentic, actually it is NOT authentic anything, but it is another way of using up the vegetables we have from the garden. Even the potatoes were from our garden, I'm proud to say. I was in my iron chef mode again and started pulling stuff from the refrigerator and the pantry and this is what I came up with. It's a twist on an old recipe, but isn't that what cooking is all about? Taking something you are familiar with and putting a twist on it.

INGREDIENTS:
10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 head of garlic, chopped
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp. Curry Powder
2 cups coconut milk
4 small potatoes, quartered
2 carrots, cubed
3 cups yard-long beans (sitaw), cut into 2 inch length
2 cups okra
5 chili peppers
1 Tbsp. Oyster Sauce
2 tablespoons Oil
2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste

Heat the oil and saute' the onions and garlic for a couple of minutes until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and cook a couple of minutes more. Add the chicken and curry powder and cook until the chicken turns opaque. Add the coconut milk and season with oyster sauce, a bit of salt and pepper. Add the potatoes and carrots and simmer until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Add the yard long beans, okra and peppers and cook for 5 more minutes. Sprinkle with the chopped basil, stir and adjust the seasonings. Serve over steamed rice.


Filipino Cookbooks

8 comments

  1. Anonymous // 10/09/2006 4:00 PM  

    that looks so delicious! Great comfort food on a chilly day. I've been experimenting with Thai curry pastes (red, yellow and green)... strange that they are traffic light colours hahaha. I find that adding a few lime leaves during the cooking process gives a subtle citrus fragrance and some fish sauce mixed with some sugar added at the end gives curry a punch. Love the chopped basil leaves on top mmmmmmmmm yum!

  2. Anonymous // 10/09/2006 5:55 PM  

    Hi J,

    I'm doing fine! How about yourself? Na-i-imagine ko is "PINAKBET" di vegetable curry ha! Sarap naman..

  3. Anonymous // 10/09/2006 6:20 PM  

    Hi jules, what a great idea adding lime leaves! Too bad I haven't seen too many lime leaves around here :( As soon as I find some, I'll try that technique!

    Hi Tin, oo nga ano? para ngang pinakbet no? :) I purposely planted pinakbet veggies in my garden though, so na ooverdose na ng pinakbet ang mga bata. This was a nice change.

  4. Anonymous // 10/09/2006 7:49 PM  

    Just hop by - nice recipe, mukhang masarap, try ko this week

  5. Anonymous // 10/10/2006 5:55 AM  

    JMom, yung coconut milk ba na naka-tetra pack pwede?

  6. Anonymous // 10/10/2006 12:58 PM  

    wow another lovely recipe. I like chicken curry and i never tried making this yet

  7. Anonymous // 10/13/2006 1:45 AM  

    Hi, JMom! Green beans, tomatoes, and oyster sauce in chicken curry? Hmm, now that's something I ought to try!

  8. Anonymous // 10/14/2006 6:53 PM  

    Hi dboy, salamat sa dalaw. I hope you get to try this dish. Let me know if you do.

    Hi wast0n! I think pwede. Delata nga lahat ang ginagamit namin dito, so I'm sure yung tetra pack is ok too.

    Hi Chas! Thank you, do let me know if you make curry. It's easy, and delicious :)

    Hi Midge! do try it. You know I always try to mix and match thing in our kitchen :) That's why I started this blog, to make me write down what I used and how I cooked a dish, because it just constantly changes in our house. Just depends on what mood I'm in and what's in the fridge.

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e