WHB#41 - Fresh Pickled Beets with Dill

Posted by JMom | Thursday, July 13, 2006 | , , | 8 comments »

I finally got around to posting something for Weekend Herb Blogging which was started by Kalyn's Kitchen! The garden has been doing really well especially the herbs, so I thought this event would be the perfect way to feature these goodies from our backyard.

From one pack of beets seed, we've had a bumper crop of beets this season. I haven't motivated myself yet to start canning anything so we've been eating a lot of greens and beets. So far our favorite way of fixing beets is this fresh pickled recipe which I put together from several sites on the web. The addition of fresh dill is a must. Photobucket - Video and Image HostingThe dill heightens the natural sweetness of the beets perfectly. We have also tried it without the dill, and the flavors were a bit flat without that extra kick from the dill so if you can, don't leave it out.

To cook the beets, first cut the tops off, leaving an inch on the roots, and reserve for another dish. Don't be tempted to peel them first as I was because this will cause a lot of the pretty red coloring to bleed out, and bleeding out is not a good thing even for vegetables. That means don't cut the root tendrils off either just wash the roots throughly and boil the beet roots unpeeled until tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. You can cook them longer if you prefer them to be more tender. 30 minutes, I found, is the perfect cooking time for me as at this point they are thoroughly cooked but still have a bit of a 'bite' to them. Rinse them under cool running water, cool, peel and slice into rounds or quarters.

In a small bowl combine:
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon each of salt & black pepper
about 1 tablespoon of fresh dill, chopped (add more if you prefer I was being a bit cautious this time around)

Pour the dressing over the prepared beets and let marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving.



8 comments

  1. Anonymous // 7/13/2006 12:59 PM  

    I love the earthy taste of beets...bet these are better since they're fresh. Yummmm.

  2. Anonymous // 7/13/2006 7:06 PM  

    I love the idea of putting some dill in the pickled beets. Your beets look just wonderful.

  3. Anonymous // 7/14/2006 9:14 AM  

    Hi sis! yep these beets were so sweet, I probably could have cut down on the sugar. The earthiness that we like, for some reason does not appeal well to the kids though :(

    Hi Kalyn, thanks! The dill was a pleasant surprise to me too. We just love it. Since the kids aren't too crazy about beets or dill anyway, now hubby and I just smother them with dill!

  4. Anonymous // 7/14/2006 3:01 PM  

    Hello Jmom!! I havent tasted beets actually though I might have but somewhat forgot about it. Anyway, they look gorgeous!

  5. Anonymous // 7/15/2006 8:29 AM  

    they look so good! I did not have beets this time (and I am actually kinda neglecting my veg garden this year bec of my NCLEX review). That is so true - kids don't like the earthy flavors. I like them with potato salads as well. My MIL likes pickling them. Maybe this will be a good recipe for canning, too?

  6. Anonymous // 7/16/2006 9:40 PM  

    Wow those beets look so delicious! I love beets. A few years ago I ate a whole jar of pickled beets in one sitting and was horrified the next morning... I swear I thought I was bleeding from the inside out. I have to say that I still love them beets... I just have to make a mental note to remember when I've eaten them.

  7. Anonymous // 7/17/2006 9:19 AM  

    Hi Charles, thanks! You'll have to try them when you get a chance. They're delicious.

    Hi Manang, yes, you can can beets too. That's what I'm planning on doing in the next couple of weeks, is learning how to can. I have to go get my supplies first though.

    LOL! Jules, they certainly are colorful, aren't they? haha! I still love them too, despite the side effects :)

  8. Anonymous // 7/17/2006 10:06 PM  

    Oh, I seriously love pickled beets!! I used to can them and nothing perks up a meal like a big bowl of them. Your picture is making me so hungry. YUM!

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e