Cooking Tip: Make Your Own Buttermilk

Posted by JMom | Wednesday, February 15, 2006 | 7 comments »

I noticed from the comments to the herbed buttermilk fried chicken recipe below that many cooks do not have access to buttermilk. No worry, sometimes due to my own laziness to go to the grocery store I don't have buttermilk in my ref either. I have used this substitute for buttermilk before, and have not noticed any significant difference, even in baked goods. You can make your own buttermilk by:

Combining 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or white vinegar with enough milk to equal 1 cup is a quick and easy way to make sour milk at home. Allow the milk/lemon juice mixture to stand 5 minutes, and the milk should sour and thicken slightly. This homemade sour milk can be used in any and all recipes calling for sour milk and/or buttermilk.


I usually wait about 10 minutes to get the texture really thick. Stir it up, then use as per the recipe.

7 comments

  1. Anonymous // 2/20/2006 3:01 PM  

    Alt+C
    Alt+V
    Alt+P

    thanks finally proven recipe...
    so i can now start diggin recipes calling for buttermilk!!!!


    salamat

  2. obachan // 2/21/2006 7:59 AM  

    Thank you thank you thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I had to give up on some very tempting recipes several times in the past because I couldn't get buttermilk around here. Now I can try all of them! :D

  3. JMom // 2/21/2006 9:17 AM  

    Hi ladies, Tin, Sha and Obachan, You're welcome! This really is a very handy tip and has come in very handy for me. I'm glad to have helped you out and look forward to your buttermilk creations! :-)

  4. Sassy Lawyer // 2/23/2006 7:17 AM  

    Oh, okay, so buttermilk = sourmilk. I didn't know that. Thank you!

  5. JMom // 2/24/2006 11:02 AM  

    lol, sassy, I didn't know that for the longest time either :-)

  6. Anonymous // 2/05/2011 4:36 PM  

    Tried this in conjunction with my own deep fried, southern style chicken. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

  7. JMom // 2/05/2011 5:01 PM  

    Glad to hear it worked for you, anon. :)

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e