Buttermilk Banana Bread

Posted by JMom | Monday, February 20, 2006 | 2 comments »

BananaBread

Here's another way to use up buttermilk and also over ripe bananas. It's perfect for breakfast or afterschool snack. When I baked this a few weeks ago, I had plenty of buttermilk to use up. This past weekend though, when I found two over ripe bananas and wanted to make this bread again, I was out of buttermilk. So I resorted to the recipe below for making your own buttermilk. However, since I am forever tweaking things in our kitchen, I came up with another variation that works just as well. As I was getting the milk out I realized there was an almost empty container of sour cream that I know will just sit there and mold if I don't do anything about it so I took that out as well. So to the 3/4 cup of milk I added approximately a tablespoon of sour cream and let it sit until room temperature then used it in the recipe as usual. The result was just as wonderful. Here is the original recipe, tweak it as you will.

3-4 Bananas, mashed
3 cups Flour
1 cup Sugar
3 large Eggs
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3/4 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup Butter, melted

Mix all ingredients until well blended. Pour into a buttered baking dish (9x13 inch glass dish or loaf pan). Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes or until done. When inserted toothpick in the middle comes out clean.

Variations: you can also add nuts, raisins, pineapple, or any dried fruits for additional texture and flavor.

2 comments

  1. Nic // 2/23/2006 10:01 AM  

    Great flavor combination. This sounds delicious!

  2. JMom // 2/24/2006 11:01 AM  

    Thanks, Tin! For you, anytime :-)

    Hi nic, thanks! It really was delicious, perfect with coffee :-)

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e