Succotash

Posted by JMom | Tuesday, April 19, 2005 | 4 comments »

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There are many variations of succotash, depending on region, but basically succotash is a vegetable stew. There are really no rules to which vegetables to use, just use what you have on hand. This may be the simplest of versions, made simple by the use of frozen mixed vegetable. The mix I used is called vegetable soup mix. It has lima beans, green beans, carrots, corn, and okra. Usually succotash is stewed with a cured meat like ham or bacon, but this version is meat free. I simply sauteed 1 clove of garlic and a half of chopped onion in a bit of olive oil then added about 2 cups of the mix. Add a half cup of water, season with salt and pepper and cook until all the vegetables are tender. Like the sauteed cabbage below, this is great with fried meats like pork chop.

4 comments

  1. Anonymous // 4/21/2005 4:50 AM  

    I love succotash, and especially when Daffy Duck used to say "Sufferin' Succotash!" or something along those lines.

    I checked out your husband's painting on your profile (that took me awhile, still kinda green about navigating around blogger), anyway....what BEAUTIFUL work! Your husband is very talented, lucky you, there must be so many lovely art paintings in your home!
    *rowena*

  2. JMom // 4/24/2005 11:04 PM  

    Hi Rowena! I had forgotten about Daffy Duck! LOL :-)

    haha! I am like the plumber's wife who has a leaky faucet. My house has very few of his work, most are either in his studio or in galleries :-( I have plenty of my girls' artwork though :-)

  3. Anonymous // 4/27/2005 6:47 PM  

    JMom, this looks like someone I can eat everyday, and in a way, the western version of our simple vegetable stews without the bagoong, of course! A must-try.

  4. JMom // 4/28/2005 9:16 AM  

    Hi Karen, oo nga ano? Almost like pinakbet! I never thought of it that way :-)

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e