Momma Dot's Sauteed Cabbage

Posted by JMom | Tuesday, April 19, 2005 | 0 comments »

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is another recipe from my mother-in-law, Momma Dot. It pairs up with most meals, and it's easy, non-fuss recipe. All you need is cabbage, sliced thin. Boil about a half cup of water, lightly salt, and add the cabbage. Let cook until the color turns brighter green or as tender as you wish. Most southern cooks, like my late step-father Walt, like their cabbage well cooked, almost mushy. Whenever we cooked cabbage, we would take out our portion just as it becomes tender, and leave his portion to cook an additional 30 minutes or so, until it is totally limp. Momma Dot, to my relief, liked her cabbage "just cooked" but still slightly crisp. One thing that she did after the cabbage has cooked is to add a tablespoon of oil and stir it in. I found this practice odd at first, so I used to omit this step. However, the taste was not quite the same, so I started doing just as she did and haven't looked back since.

0 comments

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e