Inexpensive Seafood Paella

Posted by JMom | Tuesday, March 08, 2005 | , | 6 comments »

Seafood PaellaI have been seeing different paella recipes all over the food blogging sphere but don't ever have the ingredients handy, so again I was inclined to improvise. Here is a very simplified and inexpensive version of a very rich recipe. Most paella recipes call for saffron, but I haven't bought any since I exhausted my supply from Spain that I received as a gift, so this version is sadly saffronless. The flavor is different from the traditional paella, but still quite good in its own way.

Click here for the recipe for Seafood Paella...

6 comments

  1. Anonymous // 3/09/2005 2:28 PM  

    Mmmmm wow Ive always wanted to make paella... im gonna try yours!! An I am gonna link you as your blog looks so tasty. And yes I looked at your daughters site its so cute lol... so i guess ellie has a new blogger friend now cool!!

    I and David also love cooking dang!! Again lovely site.. i will come back for more!!! :) Take care!

    Maria

  2. Anonymous // 3/12/2005 2:57 PM  

    But you're just being Filipino by adapting a recipe to what is available! :)

    In Pampanga we have bringhe, an adaptation of paella Valenciana. Turmeric is used to give the rice a yellow-greenish hue.

  3. obachan // 3/16/2005 9:57 AM  

    Oh this looks so good. The shrimps look so tempting!!

  4. JMom // 3/19/2005 2:07 AM  

    Hi Maria! Thanks, I hope you do try it, and try Karen's suggestion below if you don't have saffron.

    Karen! I forgot about turmeric, you're right I could have used that instead! I'll have to remember that, thanks for the tip ;-)

    Hi Obachan! Thanks :-)

  5. Anonymous // 7/02/2005 12:37 PM  

    you know what i use in the absence of saffron is anatto powder or achuete. i just mix it with water and put in the rice while cooking. i likewise put all the veggies (peas, green/red sweet peppers) on top of the steamed rice to cook, in that way it doesn't become mushy.

  6. JMom // 7/07/2005 9:13 PM  

    Hi Jovet! oo nga ano? I forgot about using annatto or turmeric, and I had both of those in my pantry! I'll have to try that next time. Thanks for the suggestion :-)

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e