Wild Rice and Mushrooms

Posted by JMom | Thursday, November 25, 2004 | , , | 6 comments »

The girls aren't too crazy about stuffing, and I still had a bit of stuffing in the freezer from our trial run, so we had this instead. It was pretty good!



2 1/2 cups of Wild Rice Blend (mixture of American Basmati, Wild Rice, Brown Rice, and Red Rice)
6 oz. Crimini mushrooms, sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups chicken broth
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a pan and sautee the onions and garlic until fragrant. Add the musrooms and cook until they are just starting to brown. Add the rice blend and stir to coat rice with oil. Add the chicken broth and cook at medium heat and cover. Cook for 10 minutes, then lower heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until you are ready to serve.

6 comments

  1. Unknown // 11/26/2004 10:16 AM  

    Magandang umaga JMom! This is my type of rice dish (like dirty rice, rice and red beans et al) and I'm going to cook it soon. We did the same thing to our turkey! I always almost bought a Kosher pre brined turkey but they don't come with giblets/liver (against kosher laws?) and sometimes they turn out rubbery. Problem w/ mine this time was it was so big I had to use my lobster stockpot (it cracked! but didn't spill) and prayed for the 1st time for cold weather so I could keep in porch...it was worth it though. (husband was so awed, in laws were so grateful...)
    You've presented your menu so well!. Have a nice long weekend...shopping ba?

  2. Unknown // 11/26/2004 10:18 AM  

    P.S. I made your Brussels sprouts but I overcooked it! wahh.(Guests were at the door). I still ate it all hehehe.

  3. JMom // 11/26/2004 2:48 PM  

    Hi Drstel, I had the same problem, and I only cooked a 13 pounder. Yours was twice as big! I used a stockpot, and the tips of the legs were kind of sticking out.

    Glad to hear you had a good Thanksgiving. Sounds like you did a lot of cooking.

  4. Fish Fish // 11/28/2004 8:49 PM  

    Wow! This seem like a great and healthy rice for me. Wat is a wild rice btw?

  5. JMom // 11/29/2004 10:13 AM  

    Hi FishFish, thanks for visiting! Wild rice is the dark brown, long kernels in the picture. It is a variety of weed, I guess pretty similar to rice, but more fibrous. It has more of a bite to it, and provides great texture to the dish. The one I used here came pre-mixed with the brown rice and red rice.

  6. Ms One Boobie // 11/29/2004 12:48 PM  

    Hey.. JMom,
    Any rice with mushroom is good by me.. :)

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e