California Rolls

Posted by JMom | Friday, September 07, 2007 | , , | 10 comments »

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I was really hoping I would have the new site set up by now, but I just haven't found the right template or header design yet. I do like the three column design though. Anyway, since I'm still here, I thought I would post the girls' new obsession, their own maki sushi!

If you'd like to try your hand at rolling your own sushi, the California Roll is one of the easiest to make and also pleasing to most palates. For one, it doesn't have any raw fish for those who are still squemish about eating raw fish. My girls don't have that problem though, they love sashimi! I just haven't found any sashimi grade fish around our area. So California rolls and Shrimp sushi it is.

SUSHI RICE: start by cooking your desired amount of rice for sushi. While the rice is cooking, mix in a small bowl: rice vinegar, salt and caster (fine) sugar. If you noticed that I didn't give any proportions, that's because the amount of the seasonings will depend on how much rice you are using. As a starting point, for two cups of cooked rice I will probably use about three tablespoons of vinegar, a pinch of salt and maybe a half a teaspoon of sugar.

When the rice is cooked, transfer it to a bowl or large plate and stir to fluff it up. Drizzle the vinegar mixture over the rice and fold it in gently so as not to mash the rice. You can use a fan while your are mixing so that the rice will cool off faster and it will develop a slight sheen to it. When it is cool enough to handle, you can start making your sushi rolls.

The basic ingredients for these California Rolls are:
Nori(seaweed)
Crab Sticks
Carrots, cut into matchsticks
Cucumber
Wasabi (Japanese horseradish)

Here's a good place to learn how to roll your maki sushi, with step-by-step photos. Visit Sushi Day for a daily dose of sushi.



10 comments

  1. Anonymous // 9/08/2007 11:21 AM  

    Hi JMom!
    You make it sound so easy, I think I am already convinced. hehe I used to be daunted with it... Hmm, I might just do this. :)

  2. Anonymous // 9/10/2007 4:29 PM  

    Hello JMom! congrats on your new domain! buzz me when it's up and running please?

    I must agree with chateau, you really made it sound so easy!

    btw, your batch look perfect and I just wanna reach out to my screen and grab them, sheez!

  3. Anonymous // 9/10/2007 6:13 PM  

    goodluck for the new home surely its exciting...its almost midnight and am drooling

  4. Anonymous // 9/11/2007 5:02 AM  

    Congrats on the new domain. And may I say wordpress is love? If you're having a hard time looking for just the right theme, why not try making your own? I know it sounds scary but I found a nifty guide that helped me modify the default one into the one I'm using now. To think I knew next to nothing about CSS when I started. Holler if you'd like the link :D

    And yay about the sushi! It looks like you and your girls had loads of fun :D

  5. Anonymous // 9/14/2007 4:44 PM  

    Hello Jmom! Those look so cool!

  6. Anonymous // 9/14/2007 7:39 PM  

    omy....yum yum yum! you're making me want to run to the nearest japanese hub around! goodluck with the new site! hey, i have just finished fixing mine...:)hope to see you there when you're not busy anymore with yours:)

  7. Anonymous // 9/16/2007 7:23 PM  

    Sorry for not dropping by earlier... still on vacation and little time to surf or blog.

    Congrats on your new domain! Just checked it out but I can't leave a comment napupunta sa google page. Kaya dito ko na muna ilagay. :-)

  8. Ana P. S. // 9/28/2007 12:52 AM  

    Great looking sushi food here, I enjoyed my time looking at them all. Anyway, I came by to thank you for the kind congratulations you left at my blog. Thanks ha? Cheers ah, being my Kabayan! By the way, would you care to ex-link with me?

  9. Zee // 9/28/2007 9:05 AM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  10. Zee // 9/28/2007 9:07 AM  

    Hi! I was trying to look for your email address on your site but i found none :/ I'd like to request to (email) interview you for my thesis research on Filipino food. Please please email me at zeecastro@yahoo.com if you're open to it! I can explain the topic further also. Thank You Very Much!

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e