Lemon Bars

Posted by JMom | Tuesday, September 19, 2006 | | 12 comments »



This really is my kind of recipe, easy and quick. We found this recipe in Paul Newman's "The Hole in the Wall Gang Cookbook". The crumbly shortbread crust was easy to make and very kid friendly as the book claims. Perfect for our kitchen! This one has a good balance between the tartness and sweetness that the girls and hubby liked. I tend to like my lemon bars on the tart side so they were apprehensive about trying this at first, but one taste is all it took to convince them that it wasn't my usual mouth-puckering lemon concoction :).

INGREDIENTS:
Crust
2 cups Flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 sticks cold, unsalted butter

Lemon Filling
4 Eggs, lightly beaten
5 TBSP Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon Orange extract
2 cups Sugar
1/3 cup Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
Powdered Sugar for garnish
Whipped Cream (optional)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and powdered sugar. Cut the cold butter into small pieces and mix into the flour and sugar mixture until the mixture is crumbly and starts to stick together. Pat this mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish as evenly as you can. If gets too sticky, you can use plastic wrap over your hands to smooth it out. Bake the crust in the oven for 30 minutes or until it is golden brown.
While the crust is baking, assemble the lemon filling. In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, lemon juice, orange extract and sugar. Stir in the flour and baking powder and mix well.
Pour the filling mixture over the baked crust and bake for another 30 minutes until the edges are set. The middle may be a little jiggly. That's ok, it will set as it cools. Remove the pan from the oven and generously sprinkle the top with powdered sugar. Let it cool for at least ten minutes before cutting. You may serve with whipped cream on top as suggested by the book, but it was great just by itself. The girls even took some for their lunch the next day.

12 comments

  1. Anonymous // 9/20/2006 11:14 AM  

    The lemon bar looks so delicious... the picture is tempting me. Thanks for sharing.

  2. Anonymous // 9/20/2006 2:15 PM  

    Oooohh it looks quite yummy ate! Gotta try that recipe!

  3. Anonymous // 9/20/2006 2:19 PM  

    Oooohh it looks quite yummy ate! Gotta try that recipe!

  4. Anonymous // 9/20/2006 4:30 PM  

    hi mandira and chas, I hope you get to try this one. We've made it several times when we just wanted something sweet ASAP.

  5. Anonymous // 9/20/2006 11:32 PM  

    hi jmom!!! the queerchef pimped me here! by the way! i loved reading thru ur previous posts...just looking at the pictures made me hungry..hahah! and that lemon bar looks yummy as well...drool...

  6. Anonymous // 9/20/2006 11:35 PM  

    hi jmom! the queerchef pimped me here! i loved reading thru ur previous posts...just looking at the pictures made me hungry..hehe! oooh..i love to try that lemon bar..it looks yummy...yum yum!

  7. Anonymous // 9/20/2006 11:50 PM  

    Everything between cookie bars or chocolate bars and as long as they are sweet, I'll give it a bite.

    Thanks for the lovely visit at my blog.

  8. Anonymous // 9/21/2006 3:17 AM  

    hi jmom! yum! that looks so temptingly delicious! i read your previous posts too...and i must say...they make me go hungry! haahh! by the way, the queerchef pimped me here! :)

  9. Anonymous // 9/21/2006 10:23 AM  

    It looks so nammmm namm J! I love lemon cake,btw

    any recipe?

  10. Anonymous // 9/22/2006 10:13 AM  

    Hi babymoi19, thanks for the visit :) I hope you had some yummies to take care of the hunger ;)

    Hi cheH! Meron akong lemon cake recipe, but hadn't made it in a while. Maybe I'll cook it again soon just so I can take a photo and post it here. Thanks for reminding me :)

  11. Anonymous // 9/23/2006 2:02 AM  

    I'll have to try this one...looks delish and easy to make, even for
    me :-)

    HUGS!

  12. Anonymous // 9/30/2006 4:37 AM  

    I will try this recipe dahil mukang napakasimple lang iluto. Thanks!!!

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e