WHB #44 - Gising Gising

Posted by JMom | Saturday, August 05, 2006 | , , | 22 comments »


This week, Weekend Herb Blogging is being hosted by Christa of Calendula & Concrete.

Thanks to Kalyn, this event has been a constant source for me to find new recipes to try with the produce from our garden. This week, I'd like to feature a vegetable we call "sitaw" in the Philippines. This vegetable goes by many names and many faces as Karen's post on it would tell you. Here in the U.S., it is simply called yard-long beans because its pods can grow up to a yard long. I had posted a recipe for yard long beans last year when I had an abundance, and as I look to my archives, I am surprised I didn't post more recipes for it since I had so many! So here goes another one.

yardlong bean plantThe title, gising-gising, in Pilipino means "wake-up wake-up" literally. I suppose it could be translated as a waker-upper for it would certainly awaken your palate if it isn't already. This dish can be made using the common green beans found in most supermarkets, or if you're lucky enough like I was and happen to have these yardlong beans in your garden, then we're in business to wake up our palates.

I had an abundance of these beans last year and they were so wonderful that I wanted more this year. Imagine my disappointment when I couldn't find the seeds anywhere this year. Last year, I found a packet in our local Home Depot. After my futile search for seeds this year, and I didn't want to resort to ordering them online, I had resigned myself to doing without them this season. I must have been a very good girl though, for the garden gods or my resident composter/gardener/husband had blessed my garden and three of these bean plants sprouted up to surprise me. I have been harvesting a handful of these yardlong beans just about every other day, to my delight.

With these beans on hand I finally get a chance to try out this waker upper recipe that has been touted by blogger friends. Mec finally posted her recipe for this, and although I don't have all the ingredients she used, this dish turned out wonderfully. Even with the spiciness, which is optional but of which I don't think this dish would be the same without, the girls actually liked it!

gising-gising


Mec's Gising-Gising

2 Tbsp. Cooking Oil
3 cloves of Garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cups chopped Yard-long beans (about a pound and a half)
1 Tbsp. Maggi Seasoning
1 Tbsp. Patis or Fish Sauce or to your taste
1 can Coconut milk (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 fresh chili peppers, minced (I used serrano chilis from the garden) - optional if you don't want it spicy.

Heat the oil and saute' garlic and onions until they are fragrant but not browned. Stir in the beans and the rest of the seasonings and bring to a simmer. Don't let it come to boil so the coconut milk will not separate. Let it cook just until the beans are tender but not overcooked.





Filipino Cookbooks

22 comments

  1. Anonymous // 8/06/2006 5:15 PM  

    This sounds just fantastic. I love coconut milk and fish sauce, so I bet I'd like it. I've only had this type of bean in restaurants; I've never thought of trying to grow them. Good idea.

  2. Anonymous // 8/07/2006 6:44 AM  

    I'm missing longbeans so much! Ate my fill of them when I was back in the islands but have to wait til next spring to plant some here. They're better than the "normal" beans!

  3. Anonymous // 8/07/2006 10:16 AM  

    it's great when the garden surprises you in the springtime no JMom? (mine did but i'm afraid the horrid weather pattern here has cancelled out my garden...)
    i love this recipe, hooray for sitaw.
    happy birthday Jmom?!!!!! (saw it in the LP thread.) blowout ha!!!

  4. Anonymous // 8/07/2006 2:44 PM  

    Here again from Charles and it's always a pleasure to visit your kitchen. Tha Mec's Gising-Gising looks delicious - I'm not sure I can get all the indgredience in Norway though.

  5. Anonymous // 8/07/2006 6:06 PM  

    the queerchef sent me. i love your design of your site. and those look like some tasty veggies.

  6. Anonymous // 8/08/2006 9:59 AM  

    Hi Kalyn! Yes, these beans are so easy to grow. I can't believe I used to pay $2.99/lb for them at the grocery store!

    Hi Rowena, definitely better than 'normal' :-D

    Hi mama Stel! Yes, I do love surprises. Our garden provided a lot this year, but these beans were the greatest :-D Naku beerday ko ngayon, mamaStel so thank you for the greetings! tamang tama ang timing mo. Naku if ever mag kita tayo, we'll have lots of blow outs to make up for :D

  7. Anonymous // 8/08/2006 11:10 AM  

    Hi Renny and April! Thanks for visiting :)

  8. Anonymous // 8/08/2006 11:32 AM  

    Jmom, HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    Cheers to health and wealth! (^_^)

    (lioness ka din pala, mine is this sunday d' 13th..ahahay, bumabata tayo! ha ha)

  9. Anonymous // 8/08/2006 12:37 PM  

    another leo ka pala thess! Lions rule!!:D

    Thanks and Happy Birthday to you too! ay, kung madali lang sana ang laki ng blogger celebration nating mga leos. Birthday din ni Iska and Ces :)

  10. Anonymous // 8/08/2006 3:45 PM  

    JMom,

    Before anything else "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" I wish you all the happiness and long life tulad ng "sitaw" Lol!

    Anyway, I don't know how you keep yourself up despite the fact that your a working Mom, naalagaan mong mabuti ang mga patanim mo sa garden-sigh! I would rather call you "SUPERMOM" than JMom- :). Ang paborito kong luto eh adobo sitaw with piniritong isda...hay, homesick nanaman ako!

    Saan ang celebration??? Take care and have fun okay!

    Hugs,
    Tin

  11. Anonymous // 8/09/2006 12:59 AM  

    ah! I can almost smell the aromas of good food in this room. I am so glad queerchef pimp me here. hey! if you wanna know about spicy indian food I know some spicy blogs. If you want I can give you the links to those blogs. So yummy! for now

  12. Anonymous // 8/09/2006 2:03 AM  

    ha ha ha, yep we rule! (in the kitchen at least..pag hindi, gutom sila lol)

    tnx for the info, already left greetings to the other celebrants...

    (quick pass by lang, so bc with the renovation and work...take care and kisses to the li'l chefs)

  13. Anonymous // 8/09/2006 8:35 PM  

    Hiya sis,
    Just tried a recipe similar to this one but didn't come out right...guess I overcooked it and came out too watery. Tasted ok but I like the consistency to be more like curry. I'll try this next.

  14. Anonymous // 8/10/2006 9:49 AM  

    Hi Tin, sana nga malapit ka lang. Magprito tayo ng tilapia at adobong sitaw. Marami din akong tanim na talbos ng kamote at kamatis. Ang bagoong, mura lang :) 'lika na kain tayo!

    Hi Impalhaldiary, oh I love indian food! Well, I actually love anything spicy :D Please do share those blogs when you get a chance. Thanks!

    Hi Thess! tama ka, we do rule in the kitchen! :D Can't wait to see how your renovation is coming along.

    hi sis, the first time I cooked this it was a little watery too, so if you have to you can cut down on the amount of the coconut milk. Also, you have to use the maggi seasoning instead of oyster sauce. It gives it a different flavor. And, you definitely have to take this off the heat before the veggies get overcooked. It's better when it still has some body to it. Love you! :D

  15. Anonymous // 8/10/2006 11:01 AM  

    hello from the queer chef and from me from down under...those long beans are my favourite too- i tried to plant them but dried up. So I just buy them in Chinatown. You have a nice blog.

  16. Anonymous // 8/10/2006 12:34 PM  

    Hi Vicky, thanks! I just visited your blog ;)

  17. Anonymous // 8/10/2006 2:53 PM  

    Back from Charles as I go for giving him 100 comments. Have a lovely end to your week:-)

  18. Anonymous // 8/11/2006 5:24 AM  

    Queer chef's comment whore says she misses you already Jmom. hehe. I got hungry just browsing thru ur blog!!!

  19. Anonymous // 8/12/2006 6:19 AM  

    That recipe looks so yummy. Calling over from the Queer Chef, best wishes, The Artist

  20. Anonymous // 8/12/2006 11:03 PM  

    Dropping by from Queer Chef :) Gising-gising looks like the morning glory dish that me and a friend had while on a trip to thailand. It was delicious! The host just plucked it out of the garden and then washed and cut then instantly fried them on the wok - delightful :)

  21. Anonymous // 8/13/2006 10:34 AM  

    I love beans and this one can really perk me up. I cant wait to try these! Anyway, I am back now and missing you Jmom!

  22. Fine Life Folk // 7/06/2009 5:25 AM  

    Wow, your version of the Gising-gising is interesting. I've also reviewed cafe metro's meat version here >> http://finelifeonabudget.weebly.com/1/post/2009/07/restaurant-recipe-by-cafe-metros-gising-gising.html

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e