House Brand Mabo Tofu Sauce

Posted by JMom | Friday, July 07, 2006 | , | 1 comments »

mabo-tofuI can't remember exactly where I read it now, but I remember reading sometime ago about House brand Mabo Tofu so when I chanced by it at the oriental market, I decided to give it a try. I almost followed the instructions on the back of the package exactly, but I just couldn't leave enough alone, so of course I tweaked the recipe a bit, and I am glad that I did. I found the original recipe a bit bland, and I still needed to have a vegetable to go with the meal, so I decided on adding the napa cabbage.

The instructions on the package said to brown some ground meat, dissolve the sauce mixture in a cup of water and pour over the meat then add the tofu slices and cook additionaly just until the tofu is warmed thru.

I followed the instructions up to this point and tasted it, but it really did taste a bit bland so I added a teaspoon of fermented bean paste and a teaspoon of chili paste just to kick up the flavors.

I then poured the mixture over napa cabbage that have been sauteed just until they changed colors but were still crisp. It was ok, but I have never been a big fan of mixes and this one was a bit disappointing. I think next time I will follow a recipe from scratch.


mapo-tofu





Filipino Cookbooks

1 comments

  1. Anonymous // 7/07/2006 11:19 AM  

    It looks very nice Jmom. I am really wanting to cook tofu since I am on diet as well

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e