Cucumber Mint Salad

Posted by JMom | Thursday, July 20, 2006 | , | 9 comments »



Kalyn who hosts Weekend Herb Blogging luckily posted this recipe a second time around and reminded me to try it out. I am glad I did because it is such a refreshing change from the usual pickled cucumber salad and it is such a perfect way to highlight the cucumbers and mints from our garden. I made a couple of modifications from Kalyn's recipe since I didn't have the green Tabasco sauce or peanuts on hand, but I think the spirit of the recipe still came through. Here's how I did mine. Kalyn's original recipe is here.

INGREDIENTS:

Cucumbers from our backyard ~ some were not very big yet or are shaped strangely, so I used about 5 or 6 cucumbers (use however many you need to make a bowlful)
1/2 cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped

dressing:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons Patis or fish sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 tsp. green habanero sauce
1 1/2 tsp. or two cloves of garlic puree (I ground mine in a mortar & pestle)
salt and pepper to taste

Peel and cut the cucumbers into bite sized chunks and add the coarsely chopped mint. Mix the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl to make sure the sugar and salt are dissolved. Taste and adjust accordingly. Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and lime and let marinade for about 15 minutes before serving.

As Kalyn pointed out on her post, the mint becomes overpowering after a while so it is best to make only as much as you think you can finish in one meal.

9 comments

  1. Anonymous // 7/20/2006 5:07 PM  

    Hi JMom,

    How nice to cook something healthy from your garden- I'm a bit jealous since you had a wonderful garden that will save you up some extra money!

    Sayang kung magkapitbahay lang tayo JMom - baka palagi ako sa likod bahay ninyo-LOL!

    That cucumber salad looks refreshing and delicious, sarap talaga pag-summer time super init lang talaga grabe!

  2. Anonymous // 7/20/2006 5:34 PM  

    Your salad looks great. I think the green habanero sauce you used for this would be perfect, and the peanuts are definitely optional. Glad you liked it.

  3. Anonymous // 7/20/2006 7:21 PM  

    Hello Jmom! So you grow vegetables in your backyard? Oohh I am quite jealous since I also wanted to do that but never manage to do it really...

  4. Anonymous // 7/20/2006 7:22 PM  

    And yes, the recipe looks great!

  5. Anonymous // 7/20/2006 11:33 PM  

    Wow! Another wonderful prize from your garden! :)

  6. Anonymous // 7/21/2006 9:58 AM  

    Hi Tin! sana nga ano? our neighbors, mostly senior citizens, are also enjoying getting an occasional tomato or cucumber for their lunch. We've had so much greens too, that I usually clean it and blanch it for them first so they can keep it in the freezer for whenever they feel like eating some veggies.

  7. Anonymous // 7/21/2006 10:01 AM  

    Hi Kalyn, thanks to you for posting the recipe ;) I'm getting so many more ideas from the WHB event.

    Hi Charles, yes, we (hubby and i) love gardening. My little princesses retreat to the air conditioning when the sun comes out and bugs start flying :) thanks, we loved this one cause it is such a simple but refreshing recipe

    Hi Joey! Yes, we are just loving these gifts from the garden. So much more tasty than the store bought stuff too!

  8. Anonymous // 7/21/2006 4:04 PM  

    Yeah, it is quite refreshing especially with the mint. I hope I can have my own vegetable garden soon

  9. Anonymous // 7/22/2006 10:11 AM  

    Thank you for your comment.I'm very pleased. You love cooking too. I hope that if you have main meal, please tell me recepe.

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e