Fruits of the Garden

Posted by JMom | Saturday, July 16, 2005 | , | 5 comments »

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The veggies from the garden have started coming in, and we can't get rid of them fast enough! The zucchini and cucumbers have been putting out like crazy, the tomatoes are finally ripening, and the "sitaw" or yard long beans have gone nuts. We have so much of the long beans, we don't know what to do with them. I think I'll try blanching and freezing some, just to see how well they do. I prefer fresh vegetable to frozen ones. There aren't very many people here that know what to do with them. There is one Chinese girl at work who does though, and was she ever glad to have them! I gave her a whole bag. The long beans are now in some of the grocery stores here, but they are still very expensive, about $2.99 a pound, so I haven't been buying much. Plus, they just don't have that fresh sweet taste that they get when they are fresh off the vines. The corn has started coming in too, so by the time the girls get back in a couple of weeks, they should be ready to eat. The sunflowers have started blooming, and in a couple of weeks they should be in full bloom, just in time for the girls' homecoming.

5 comments

  1. ss // 7/16/2005 7:53 PM  

    Hi JMom! Wow, lots of fresh veggies from your own garden! Remember me (met you at stel's bday)? Kumusta na? Congratulations! I read the interviews! Wow, you're really great foodbloggers! Your daughter Jade is taking after you, her pizza & cake look yummy! God bless! Btw, I have a new blog in Blogspot: http://scanns.blogspot.com/

  2. obachan // 7/17/2005 8:47 AM  

    All your veggies and herbs look so nice! You sure have a great garden, JMom! :D

  3. Anonymous // 7/18/2005 12:14 PM  

    wow, love your purple peppers!!! mine aren't even blossoming yet. we had a late winter. lookin' good here.

  4. JMom // 7/18/2005 11:20 PM  

    Hi scanns, of course I remember you :-) I have visited your blog and enjoyed reading your entries. I hope the sunburn is better?
    I am so glad Jade shares my passion for cooking, she is really getting to be quite a cook. Her sisters also love to cook, but not to the same extent. They are more into taste testing :-)

    Thanks, Obachan, we do enjoy working in the garden. The best part is reaping the fruits of our labor :-)

    Hi Stef, actually, the purple ones are eggplants! I am leaving some of the peppers on the vine to see if they develop some color though. Thanks! :-)

  5. Anonymous // 7/29/2005 6:55 AM  

    the shape really threw me. and the brilliant purple! mind sharing kung anong cultivar 'yon? i'm only growing pingtung longs this year.

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e