Sayote with Bagoong

Posted by JMom | Friday, February 04, 2005 | 7 comments »



All these reminiscing about life in Baguio here and here just got me thinking about these: Sayote or as it is called in the grocery stores here, Chayote Squash. These are pretty mild as squashes go, and while they can be used in various soups and saute's, sometimes they are best enjoyed simply boiled and dipped in bagoong (fermented fish paste) and vinegar. The green stuff floating in the dipping sauce is green habanero sauce, that's optional. I just like spicy stuff. I had these with the clams, as I just have to have some kind of vegetable with all my meals and these were simple enough to make, just boil till tender. My hubby even tasted these, dipped in the bagoong, and he liked it! Mikey liked it! :)

7 comments

  1. Manang // 2/04/2005 12:36 PM  

    I sooo miss sayote! We don't have it here...And I don't see it on gardening catalogs...I would have been willing to tray to raise it and enjoy it at least every summer...

  2. JMom // 2/04/2005 2:09 PM  

    Ako rin, manang, I haven't seen seeds or seedlings for sayote yet. Luckily, they started carrying them at the local grocery stores here. Pero, hindi parin kasing sarap ng galing sa atin, mas fresh kasi sa atin eh, you just go in the backyard and pick some. And these must have been hybridized varieties because they have no thorns, they are smooth as pears. Some people actually mistake them for pears.

  3. ting-aling // 2/05/2005 3:14 PM  

    JMom, if the sayote is left for a long time even just in your vegetable crisper (in Baguio anyways), the sayote would "sprout" with leaves? 'ever tried doing that?

  4. JMom // 2/07/2005 12:04 AM  

    Hi Jonny! You should try it, it is as good as it looks, it has a very clean, refreshing taste.

    Ting, I did try doing that one time, but it just either shrivelled up or rotted. I think they are older than we are used to in Baguio, or not mature enough yet. These hardly have any seeds either, so maybe they are not mature enough to sprout.

  5. purplegirl // 2/08/2005 8:49 PM  

    never had boiled sayote. with bagoong -- now that's a wonderful combination!

  6. Anonymous // 3/20/2005 5:03 PM  

    Hi...I live in Hawaii and my husband bought bunches of Sayote greens! What can we do with them? Any recipie ideas?

    Thanks

  7. Anonymous // 8/01/2006 9:58 PM  

    it's a good recipe!

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e