Chicken Wonton and Vegetable Soup

Posted by JMom | Sunday, December 12, 2004 | , , , | 11 comments »

The second dish I made with the chicken dumplings is soup, with plenty of vegetables. The weather has gotten cold again, another reason why I didn't feel like going anywhere today, and soup seemed just right for a light but warm supper.



8-10 cups chicken broth
1 onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
5-6 round slices of fresh ginger root
1/2 pound of green beans, stringed and cut in half
1 pound of young spinach leaves
15 chicken wonton dumplings
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon Oil

Heat the oil in a large pot and sautee the garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Let it cook for 10 minutes, add the green beans and dumplings and cook until beans are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the spinach leaves and adjust the seasoning. Stir the spinach into the soup just until they are wilted and the color changes to bright green, then turn off the heat.

11 comments

  1. Fish Fish // 12/12/2004 9:08 PM  

    JMom, I like the berries' banner on the top. :)

  2. JMom // 12/13/2004 9:43 AM  

    Hi FishFish, thanks! It's about the only Christmas decorating I could muster this weekend. It was a very lazy weekend :)

  3. ting-aling // 12/14/2004 5:38 AM  

    Oh so I must have been out of touch for a few days..now you've got a new template.

  4. JMom // 12/14/2004 9:46 AM  

    Hi TingAling, not new, I just changed the colors for the holidays :)

  5. Manang // 12/14/2004 11:59 AM  

    I mad something similar to this, using pork lumpia filling wrapped in egg roll that I cut in quarters. I boiled in chicken broth and added some celery and parsley. I never knew what to call it, but I vaguely recall having eaten something like it, which was called molo soup. Really one of the nicest treats in cold winter.

  6. Rowena // 12/15/2004 4:51 AM  

    Hello JMom!
    Sure you can link to me....and likewise, I'll add you link to my list. Reading your posts makes me all hungry again, just like English Patis and Baby Rambutan. I have to take a rest sometimes from visiting food blogs because my food sensories in the brain go on Overload! Especially now with the holidays (and all the food) everywhere you look. I'm wondering if foodbloggers will go on a little hiatus after the holidays...

    A good idea for soup! Infact these days that's all I really want to eat. Good for this cold weather, easy to put together, and good for the soul!

  7. Ms One Boobie // 12/17/2004 11:38 AM  

    Hey.. JMom.. love the new color.. and love chicken dumplings.. but i find that pork goes better with soupy stuff.. wat you think..?!!??

  8. Nick Ballesteros // 12/17/2004 10:06 PM  

    Hello JMom! Your site is so Christmasy! I love strawberries, fresh or with dip!

    Ipapakita ko kay misis ang recipe na to, hopefully she can make it for our dining pleasure.

  9. JMom // 12/20/2004 9:42 PM  

    Hi Rowena! Thanks for visiting. We do love soups especially now that the weather has gotten cold. Tis always good for the soul :)

    Thanks, MrsTweety. I usually make the dumplings with pork too, but I just thought I'd try it with chicken this time, and it turned out pretty good!

    Hi Watson, thanks! Let me know how the Mrs. likes it. It's really easy to make.

  10. Sassy Lawyer // 12/23/2004 1:36 AM  

    All of a sudden I have this craving for Chinese food. I think we'll have spring rolls (lumpia) tonight. With salmon for a new twist. :)

  11. JMom // 12/23/2004 9:09 AM  

    Hi Sassy! I know what you mean, we are having turkey burn out at my house, and don't even want to see that bird this week, so we are also thinking Chinese or seafood.

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e