Lolo Jose's Shiitake Surprise

Posted by JMom | Friday, February 10, 2006 | 3 comments »

Lolo Jose's Shiitake Surprise

Not too long ago, one of the topics on Blogkadahan.com, the group blog I belong to, is Filipino cuisine where we talked about the food that most of us grew up with. There were so many great recipes posted that I didn't know where to start. One of the recipes that caught my eye is this Shiitake Surprise which, although not a traditional Filipino dish, is a recipe invented by a true blue Filipino.

When I found a huge bag of dried shiitake mushrooms at Costco at a bargain price, I knew then exactly which recipe I would use some of it for. We love vegetables, any vegetables, and this combination was just excellent. The recipe below is just as Lolo Jose posted it, I just changed some of the proportions based on what I used.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups sliced & dried Shiitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
9 oz. bag of fresh baby spinach leaves
1 lb. Green beans, sliced
2 tsp of olive oil, extra-virgin
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
5 green onions, cut into thin strips
1 Large green bell peppers, sliced into strips
1 small ginger, minced
1 TBSP of reduced-sodium oyster sauce (sorry Doc, I only had regular Oyster Sauce)
pinch of iodized salt, to taste
pinch of ground black pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot.
Add all the mushrooms and beans and sauté until tender, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.
Add bell pepper, ginger and garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
Add spinach and green onions and stir until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes.
Add the oyster sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately. This preparation makes around 6-8 servings.


This was absolutely delicious! Can be eaten with steamed rice alone or with your favorite meat dish.

Thanks, Doc!

3 comments

  1. Anonymous // 2/13/2006 1:05 PM  

    This looks good...and healthy! :) I love mushrooms :)

  2. JMom // 2/15/2006 10:17 AM  

    Hi Tin and Joey, this dish is super healthy. Just check out the nutritional breakdown from doc's original post.

    Tin, I just love the shiitake from Costco. It is the best. Most of all it's only 9.99 for that huge bag. Normally, I pay that for a small bag at the oriental store.

  3. Dr. Emer // 2/26/2006 6:40 AM  

    I'm happy you liked it, JMom. :)

    Thanks for the feature and your vote of confidence. :)

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e