Oxtail Soup

Posted by JMom | Tuesday, March 27, 2007 | , , | 11 comments »


Not too long ago, Rowena had an obsession with oxtail soup that also piqued my own obsession. Our local Costco just started carrying oxtails in their meat section and I immediately snagged a pack with this particular soup in mind. Whenever I can get ahold of some oxtails I inevitably plan on cooking kare-kare, a peanut butter based stew with vegetables. Now with this soup, I have added to my oxtail prep repertoir.

Whenever I visit my sisters in Los Angeles, one of our stops is King's Hawaiian Restaurant and Bakery in Torrance where one of us (mostly me) would almost always order the oxtail soup. The Hawaiian oxtail soup, I learned is a Chinese recipe adapted by the Hawaiians. My version, admittedly, is not half as good as King's; I don't know what their secret is but their soup is just wonderfully flavorful.

This was quite flavorful too, what with the addition of the herbs and spices, the smell was delicious. Rowena provided two links for recipes, here and here, which I combined to make this version. I was intrigued by the addition of whiskey but unfortunately it was a Sunday when I decided to cook this soup and the state run liquor stores were closed (that's a law here, no liquor sold on Sundays).

INGREDIENTS:
2-3 pounds of oxtails
1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms, soak in hot water for 10 minutes
1 piece gow pee(Chinese dried tangerine peel), soak in hot water for 10 minutes
1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns (wrap in cheese cloth)
2 inch fresh ginger peeled and sliced into rounds
2 whole star anise
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 lb. mustard cabbage, cut in 1-2 inch lengths

Garnishes:
Thinly sliced green onions
Chopped cilantro
Chopped serrano chilis

Dipping Sauce:
Grated fresh ginger
Soy Sauce

In a stock pot, parboil oxtails for 30 minutes. Rinse the oxtails and the pot and add more clean water to the pot. Bring the water back to boil and add oxtails back in along with the Szechuan peppers (wrapped in cheesecloth so they are not floating all over the soup), shiitake mushrooms, gow pee, star anise, and ginger. Salt & pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer until the oxtails are falling off the bone tender, about 2-3 hours. Replenish the soup with additional broth or water if it starts getting too low. Skim as much fat as you can from the surface as the soup cooks. Just before serving, add the mustard cabbage and cook just until it wilts and changes color.

Serve with the garnishes to be sprinkled on top and rice.

11 comments

  1. Omom // 3/27/2007 7:51 PM  

    As Ange would say, "Slurp"! I love Kings oxtail soup (and The California Hotel Cafe in Las Vegas's also has a good one) even hubby has acquired a taste for it! I love that beef broth taste,too; in oxtail soup and in Vietnamese Pho.

  2. Unknown // 3/28/2007 10:45 AM  

    looks great JMom! gaya gaya me ha?
    (p.s. do you get AZN tv there? "My Lovely K.S.S." is being shown again!)

  3. JMom // 3/28/2007 1:24 PM  

    hi sis, that's my next project is to make a decent pho.

    Hi stel! sure gaya away :D ganun din ginagawa ko sa blog mo. hehe! Too bad, wala kaming cable. Would love to see KSS again. I even looked into buying the DVD pero ang mahal! Thank goodness for youtube.

  4. Freya // 3/28/2007 2:00 PM  

    Just stumbled across your blog - I love the design of it, really great! I have just ordered some oxtail so this is a great idea for a recipe!

  5. Anonymous // 3/29/2007 11:02 AM  

    Love oxtail! This sounds tasty! :)

  6. Rowena // 3/30/2007 11:28 AM  

    Waahhhh! And now you're gonna make me obsessed again because I still can't find oxtails!!! Glad that you tried both of the recipes in one go. Even without the inclusion of the whiskey, I'm already jealous that you got to enjoy this....I just might have to wait until the next trip home. :-(

  7. Anonymous // 3/31/2007 7:53 AM  

    Oxtails? Hmmm I havent tried those but I always like to try something new

  8. JMom // 4/02/2007 10:31 AM  

    Hi Freya and Paul, I'm glad you stumbled across our blog. I hope you do try this recipe. It's perfect comfort food.

    hi joey! thanks :)

    hi rowena! aw, I'm sorry :( I'm surprised you can't get oxtails there! Maybe italians know how good oxtails are and keep them all for themselves :)

    hi chas! oh you have to try it. It is soooo good :)

  9. Lydia // 4/05/2007 10:02 AM  

    I haven't tried oxtail soup yet... sounds delicious!

  10. Anonymous // 11/20/2009 7:39 PM  

    craving oxtail soup! just went to the california cafe last night to have some.

  11. Anonymous // 11/01/2011 2:33 PM  

    The reason your broth may not be as flavorful is because you are adding liquid during the cooking. The flavors concentrate as the soup simmers and water evaporates - adding more water is diluting the soup! Start with enough water to cover oxtails by 2-3" in a pot large enough to give the meat a little room (not too much), cover and simmer. Same concept for pho broth.

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e