IMBB 11 - Sinigang na Pata

Posted by JMom | Saturday, January 22, 2005 | 3 comments »

With the cold weather, it seems that a lot of food blogs (Baby Rambutan made Pho, Sassy made chicken soup, for example) have been cooking lots of soups. I actually was looking for ox tails like what chef Celia had, but couldn't find any. I did find fresh ham hocks, so I decided to make sour soup.



2 pounds Pork Hocks, fresh
about 10 cups water
1 onion, sliced
1/2 lb. green beans
1 lb. bok choy, sliced
Tamarind soup mix (sigang mix)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Place pork hocks in a large pan and add 10 cups or enough water to cover, and boil until tender. Skim off the scum from the top as it rises (or if you forget to check like I did, pour off the scummy water and start anew). When the pork is tender, add the onions and sigang mix and let it cook a few minutes. Adjust the seasoning. Add green beans and cook until almost tender; then add the bok choy, cook for one minute and turn off the heat so as not to overcook the vegetables.
_________________________________________________
After Karen saw this post, she emailed me to enter this recipe for the IMBB event since it had green beans in it. This prompted me to come up with another recipe with beans since I was planning on cooking beans this weekend anyway. I came up with the Pork and Beans recipe above. Thanks for the prompt, Karen! :)

3 comments

  1. Unknown // 1/22/2005 8:22 PM  

    hi JMom,
    see! i thought it would work. i've been eyeing the pork hocks for sinigang but always end up using the usual, buntot (tails) and neckbones. i'll try it next time..my 3 kittens love sinigang!
    you know what it think it is about the 3rd child syndrome? they gotta compete with the older two. my #2 son walked and talked as early as he could, and earlier than the older two. like he was in a race. he was colicky too and my late beloved pedia. said it was his competitive nature. he's absomalutely right!!!

  2. Karen // 1/23/2005 9:20 AM  

    Uy, just had chicken sinigang for lunch! Yes, chicken. Unlike the Tagalogs who have sinampalukang manok, ours is more sour and cooked like your ordinary tamarind-soured sinigang. This food blogger synchronicity is true indeed.

    Your sinigang looks both tummy and heart-warming. Cooked with love 'yan, 'no? Hehehe!

  3. Cathy // 1/25/2005 8:53 PM  

    Hi Jeanette - this sounds really interesting - I'm not familiar with tamarind (I've heard of it but don't think I've ever tasted it) but can sort of imagine... The combination of pork, green beans and bok choy sounds wonderful. I'm glad Karen reminded you about IMBB!

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e