My breakfast

Posted by Jade | Thursday, August 26, 2004 | 3 comments »


This is the breakfast I cooked for everyone, last Sunday. Posted by Hello

I made this for everyone Sunday, all on my own, without the microwave this time. It was pretty good, waffles made from scratch, peaches, whipped cream and slightly burnt bacon. But here's the recipe for the waffles:

WAFFLE TREAT

2 eggs, beaten
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
1 cup shredded Gjetost cheese
sweetened whipped cream
1 1/2 cups strawberry halves

**I didn't use the Gjetost chees or straw berry halves. They were just as good!!

Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions. Meanwhile combine eggs, buttermilk, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and oil. Blend well. Stir cheese. Pour some batter into heated waffle iron. Bake until steaming stops. Remove and keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve topped with whipped cream and strawberries.

Yields 4 to 6 waffles.(I don't know what the heck that means, guess it just depends on what size waffle iron you have.)


3 comments

  1. Manang // 8/31/2004 11:41 AM  

    Hi JMom!
    I take pride that Filipinas are now quite ubiquitous in the www, showing off our culinary skills. Haha! I now realize that the well-trained-in-the-kitchen Filipinas can compete very well with other nationalities. I am often amazed at our creativity in the kitchen, more so when I surprisingly hear good comments (coupled with asking for the recipe) from my in-laws in such simple things as my dressing for the sliced raw cucumbers. Kudos to us! Someday the Filipinas might be featured as among the best cooks in the whole world, not to mention our penchant for balanced and healthy meals. It's high time that the world recognizes our talents.

  2. JMom // 8/31/2004 4:53 PM  

    You know it! The best thing about most filipina cooks I know, especially the ones married to Americans like us, is their flexibility. We are adept at adopting to other recipes, and adapting ours to please their palates. The biggest joke in our house is how my husband, who used to dislike fish, now eats food laced with patis! You commented on the vegetables from our garden, do you know he also has been eating kamote tops with tomato, onions, lemon juice, and bagoong? That's what we had for dinner last night:-)

  3. Michael Sheridan // 10/27/2005 10:14 PM  

    Hi JMom
    Look, I hope you don't mind, but I found your blog using cooks recipes as a search term. I'm trying to find original articles and recipes for my cooking websites.

    I can and do use the article directories, but much of the stuff in them is hardly original and gets widely used. I'm hoping to persuade people like you, who have an interest in cooking, to contribute as well. I use a wide variety of articles and styles - just so long as it's food orientated - and I think the kind of things you write about in In Our Kitchen would be very popular, particularly authentic Filipino recipes :0)

    The quid pro quo is a link back to your blog - or website if you have one. If this doesn't interest you, please forgive the intrusion. If it does, I look forward to hearing from you.

    Best wishes
    Michael Sheridan

ss_blog_claim=02daf6afd7df9760eca81610469cb81e